Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Joys of Crockpot Cooking

"Some issues are microwave issues, and others are crockpot issues." ~ Me

Today, I was meeting with one of my employees, and in our discussion there were some questions regarding the office procedures and proposed changes to these procedures.   There has been some discouragement in the past (and some present disappointment) because of delays in the process.   This is when the wisdom above was thrown out into the airwaves.   

Confession:   I think that "wait" is a four letter word. 

This "wisdom" is nothing that I would every want to hear, so why did it come out of my mouth?   My speculation (and sneaking suspicion) is that the Holy Spirit is really trying to get my attention.   If I had a dollar for every time I've heard statements like "The journey IS the destination", "Your time is coming, just be patient", "God's timing is perfect", or "You need to learn to be still and just wait on the Lord", I would be a very rich woman.   Well, maybe not rich, but probably into the next grade rather than repeating this one over and over.     

There is a very distinct difference between a meal prepared in the microwave and one in the crockpot.    While fast and "convenient" in the microwave meat becomes chewy, veggies limp, and everything else just plain yucky (not to mention full of radiation).   But when you put the same ingredients in a slow cooking crock pot, and turn the heat to low, the flavors meld together, the meat is moist and melts in your mouth, the veggies become delicious, and the scent permeates the entire house.     Delicious, perfect, healthy....in 8 hours.     

I think that life events are the same way.    When we're kids, we can't wait to reach the next milestone:  "When I'm 13",  "When I'm 16", "When I go to college", "When I'm an adult".    Those feelings don't go away when we grow up, they just take on different forms:  "When I'm married"  "When I have kids"  "When I get that promotion" "When I get a bigger house" "When I retire".     What is it that makes us think that the next thing is the best thing?   Why do we despise the process?    Maybe because it's uncomfortable to spend the time in the heat?    

Having been promoted prematurely in both the church and corporate worlds, and dealing with the "radiation fall-out", I know that there is grace to grow quickly.   However, just like a fine wine or delicate cheese, there is value in "age" and "process".    There is health, flavor, aroma in the process.  And, I know it doesn't take the heat away, but it's worth staying in the crockpot.   Let's agree to press into the process, and I give you permission to grab my ankle and pull me back in if I try to jump out prematurely.   

No comments:

Post a Comment