Sunday, January 6, 2013

Epiphaneia

"If we do not progress into a place of astonishment and awe and reverence of God, we are going to be intimidated by life around us. We’re going to be intimidated by what the enemy is doing. Your intimacy with God should be the most intimidating thing about you!"  ~Graham Cooke

 
Today is January 6, the traditional celebration of "Epiphany".    According to Wikipedia, Epiphany (which means "manifestation" or "striking appearance") is also known as Theophany, which means "vision of God", and is a holiday which celebrates the revelation of God becoming man.    I first heard of Epiphany when I was in Europe in January 2010, so the day has been in my head every year.   

I love the word "Epiphany".   Merriam-Webster offers these definitions: an appearance or manifestation especially of a divine being; a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something; an intuitive grasp of reality through something (as an event) usually simple and striking; an illuminating discovery, realization, or disclosure; a revealing scene or moment.

The most common usage in our society usually comes in the form of an "Aha moment", a life-changing revelation of something wrong and how to fix it.   This year, I'm asking for more than just "Aha moments", but for a lifestyle of epiphanies - for revelation of God in everyday life.   He is omnipresent, meaning He is everywhere all the time, but I will be the first to admit that I don't pay enough attention to that.   I am often quick to jump out and ask God, "Where were you?", though.   

I read an article on CNN.com today about Jesus being a "dirty God".   It is a fascinating perspective of a God who became a man, and lived as a man.   To read the article, click here.   It's good to remember that Jesus was God, but he chose to live as a man, getting dirt under his fingernails, and having to deal with the gross things in life.   Hebrews 4:15 tells us, "For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin."  

There are a lot of crazy things going on in the world today.   There are a lot of crazy things going on in my life as I write this.   Things that are hard.   Sometimes, I wonder if God really "gets it", how hard it is to live on earth.   It has become glaringly obvious in this season, that I need more than just one "aha moment", I need a life full of epiphanies.    So, that is my prayer for this year, not just for me, but for all of you as well.   May you see Him in the every day moments, and know Him more deeply than you've ever thought possible.  May your heart be so startled by the love and joy of God, and may His peace be your sanctuary.












 

No comments:

Post a Comment