Tuesday, September 18, 2012

When Free Speech Isn't Free

Because I am not a history or legal buff, I can't tell you if our country was the first or if it is the only country to guarantee its citizens the right of "free speech".   What I can tell you is that we Americans take this right for granted.    We have the right to say whatever we think, whatever we want, regardless of how vulgar or hateful it gets (well, at least in theory-recent "Hate-Crime" laws have hit these rights some).   

And while there is so much to talk about regarding the power of our words and how our tongues are the most dangerous weapon we wield, I would like to simply throw out there this one thought:   our speech is never free.  There are real life consequences, both good and bad, to every word we say.   We can't "take it back", and while it's cute, the silly school yard rhyme of "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is simply a lie we teach our children.    

I wonder how many of us have masked our critical attitudes and judgmental words with our "right to free speech"?   I know I have.    I have also used the phrase, "just sayin'" as a follow-up to some harsh words or judgments that I have spoken.  I have argued that I have "the right" to my opinion, and have bullied people behind that "right", all in the name of "free speech."   I have justified my criticisms, gossip, slander, and anger by citing my "right" to my opinion.

But, what if our "rights" had international and eternal consequences?    I have been watching the news out of the Middle East over the last week, and there are so many crazy protests with people being injured, even killed, because of a video that was produced in the United States.   While I haven't personally seen the video, I have heard that it is poorly done, and very rude and derogatory toward Mohammed, the prophet of Islam.   In our nation, this video producer had every "right" to make this video and to publish his opinions.   He has every "right" to believe what he said is true, and to argue his opinions.    But what was the cost of that "right"? 

On Sunday, my pastor said, "Love is giving up our rights...it's putting others first."    If our greatest commandment is to LOVE God with our whole being, and to LOVE those around us as we love ourselves, does that include watching what we say?     Colossians 4:6 says, "Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one."   That word "grace" means "that which affords joy, pleasure, delight, sweetness, charm, loveliness."    Can I honestly say that every word that comes out of my mouth affords "joy, pleasure, delight, sweetness, charm, loveliness"?    No, I can't.   But I want to.   

Proverbs 18:21 says, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat of its fruit."    In Deuteronomy 30:19 God says, "I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing;  therefore, choose life that both you and your descendants may live."

Confession:  I don't always choose life.

Father, I want to be a life-giver with speech that is peppered with grace.   Like David, I pray that you would "Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; Keep watch over my lips."   

1 comment:

  1. Nice article. Please change the Font to something a little more reader friendly

    ReplyDelete