Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Brand Spankin' New

We all like new things!   You don't ever really hear someone say, "Man, I really want that used car," or "I wish my boyfriend would give me the ring his last girlfriend didn't take."    We like new houses, new babies, new pets, new toys, new anything.     

But today, I realized something about myself.   I don't like new everything.  There are some things that are just better when they're used, like a comfy pair of tennis shoes.    Mostly, things that are better "used" are my routines.    I have the same morning routine, the same route to work, the same side of the bed.    However, the only constant is life is change, right?   

Isaiah tells us twice that God is doing new things.   Jesus follows up and tells us not to worry about tomorrow because we have enough troubles today.   Then Paul tells us to be ready "in season and out of season".    I wonder if God was trying to clue us in to something?    What if "comfortable" is dangerous?  What if "comfortable" only breeds worry?    If I'm uncomfortable, it's because my routine has been altered, or something that I've held on to has been removed.    Maybe I'm not supposed to have a routine or hold onto anything so tightly?   

Jesus only did what He saw His Father doing, and said only what His Father said.  He said that He did nothing of His own accord.    Complete trust.  Complete flexibility.  Completely led by the Spirit.   In reading about His life, change did not throw His world into complete chaos.   It didn't bother Him that He didn't have a big house, or a regular job.   Heck, He moved from city to city, talked with different people, and never freaked out when someone interrupted His plans.   He just went with the flow.

This same Holy Spirit lives in us.   Jesus told us in John 16:13-15, "However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you."  

Maybe, these seasons of shaking and change are really opportunities for us to learn to walk by the Spirit.   

Confession:   I walk about as well as a 1 year old. 

No comments:

Post a Comment