Wednesday, August 8, 2012

When Love Looks Like Poop

"Let ALL that you do be done in love."  ~ 1 Cor 16:14

I love LOVE!  I love romance and being in love and the butterflies in my belly every time I see my husband.   I love being married, and coming home to my love each night.   I love romantic comedies where the guy gets the girl and they live happily ever after.    I love my pets.   The dog cracks me up, and the cat has such a personality (I swear, I don't know where she gets it!). 

I HATE cleaning!   I wish I could snap my fingers and the house would magically be spotless.   I wish that it would never get dirty.   I also HATE cleaning up poop!   The cat box, whew....GROSS!   But even worse is doggy poop.   Now that we live in an apartment, we have to pick up Daisy's doodoo anytime she goes outside.    Can I just say that I'm that girl standing in the yard gagging, hacking and nearly fainting?    And then there's the toilet.   I don't think I need to even expound on that.   YUCK!

Confession:   Sometimes I let the house get messy, the cat box get full and leave poop in the yard.    

I am the queen at making excuses.   My favorites are "I'm tired after a long day of work,"  "I'll do it tomorrow,"  "I have more important things to work on," and the best excuse is "It's Paul's turn!  He should have done it already!"     I have a lot more, but these are my most well-worn.    

I think that Jesus probably could have made those same excuses when it came to washing His disciples feet.   He actually had better excuses, like "I'm GOD!  They should wash my feet!".   And He would have been right, and no one would have questioned Him.    But instead, He took off His coat, got down on His knees, and washed the poop off of each of His disciples' stinky feet.   He didn't question.  He didn't procrastinate.   He didn't think it beneath Him.   He didn't wait for someone to do it because it was their turn.  He simply loved them enough to step out of His position and meet their basest needs.   

Sometimes, love looks like doing the dishes, folding laundry, cooking dinner, changing diapers, cleaning cat boxes.   Sometimes love looks like poop.

No comments:

Post a Comment